You’ve heard that moving is stressful (if you’ve ever moved, you know this is true) and it only gets more stressful if you have to deal with little ones when they become tired, bored, or cranky. When the movers arrive and start to work, even children who are normally “good as gold” can become a handful. A little forethought and preparation can help you childproof your move—and keep you from having to play zookeeper on moving day.
1. Go “Off Site.” Packing and loading may take up to a day or more, depending on the size of your move. If the kids are in school or in daycare, problem solved. If they are not, maybe you have a parent or a sibling who can watch them or even come to your home and keep them entertained while you attend to business.
2. Safe at Home. Professional movers are keenly aware of safety. Still, a potential for mishap exists whenever and wherever work is being done. If your children are present during packing or unpacking, be mindful of scissors or box cutters. Keep chemicals and cleaning solutions you may be using out of reach. And keep the kids safely back from crew members carrying heavy or bulky items.
3. Establish “Kid Central.” Consider dedicating one room, perhaps a rec room or bedroom, as “Kid Central,” and provide some entertainment options. Games, a few favorite toys, and coloring books. Kids love to color, and our company even provides crayons and Atlas coloring books with pictures about moving. Or, let them “help” the movers by beautifying the outside of some boxes with artistic masterpieces.
4. Plan for Snacks and Naps. You’ll want to be prepared to take care of grumbling tummies. Keep a variety of healthful snacks and refreshments on hand—fresh fruit, crackers, milk, and juice. Keep some with you during the trip to the new home. And remember, a good nap can go a long way toward putting a cranky kid in a more agreeable mood.
5. Keep Things Positive. Kids are extremely intuitive and subject to stress themselves. They take their cues from you. Keep their spirits high with mentions of things they can look forward to at their new home. Maybe there’s an awesome playground right down the street, or the new backyard has a perfect spot for making a fort. Maintain a positive attitude around them and they will have a positive attitude, too!
When you’re ready to start planning your childproof move, contact us at 1-888-224-3330 or get a free moving quote today!