An office move is even more difficult than a home move. Every minute that normal business operations are interrupted by packing and transporting office furniture, money and opportunities go out the window. Whether you work for a large company or work for yourself at home, these tips will help you prepare, stay organized, and stay in business.
Two Months Before Moving
- Make an online calendar pointing out important dates and mapping the entire move on a timeline. If you have employees, share it with them. The more people who know the ins and outs of what’s going on and when, the better. Share important dates with your suppliers and movers, too.
- If the office is outside your home, notify your property manager that you plan to move and follow their move-out procedures.
- If you’re in a company with multiple departments, delegate to department heads. Give them the responsibility of communicating important information to their employees and taking care of any special requirements.
- Get excited! Moving means renewal and change for business. New location, new opportunities. Share your vision for the new location with your employees, partners, and customers.
- Take inventory of supplies, furniture, electronics, and everything else that’s going with you.
- Everything that’s being left behind can be donated or sold.
One Month Before Moving
- Documents older than seven years can be shredded or put into storage.
- Order new stationary and other office supplies featuring your new address.
- Call utility companies and give them your moving date.
- Let neighbors know that moving trucks might be temporarily blocking the street.
- Back up important files digitally on a cloud server.
- Notify customers that you’re moving and give them your new contact information.
During and After Moving
- Update social media profiles and online directories like Google My Business with your new contact information.
- Make sure nothing is missing according to your inventory list.
- Instead of arranging everything exactly like it was in the old office, switch it up and breathe some new life into the décor.
We understand how much work and careful planning goes into an office move. Contact Weleski today for more information or to request an estimate.